House, Home, and Environment
- Your home often serves as the nourishing environment for you and your family to retreat
and rest from the outside stresses of the world; a place for families to strengthen and grow.
- Often a sizable portion of the monthly budget goes toward providing this “house
- Orange County/University of Florida Extension programs and resources can help you:
- Identify environmental risks or problems in and around your home or apartment.
- Save money on home repairs, maintenance, and energy.
- Control mildew and moisture in your home.
- Use living space efficiently.
- Use and dispose of hazardous materials safely.
- Conserve water and help maintain Florida's water quality.
- Build stronger family communication.
Indoor Air Quality in Florida
- Mold and mildew prevention; moisture
- Second-hand smoke education
- Asthma triggers in the home environment
- Carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and lead hazards
- Duct cleaning
Maintaining a Healthy and Safe Home Environment
- Accessible Living
- Fall prevention
- Fire prevention
- Pet friendly home environment
- Non-toxic cleaning
- Household poison prevention
- Swimming pool safety
Home Care and Maintenance
- Keep it clean
- Household cleaners and the environment
- Repair and maintenance
- Home septic system
- Organized living
- Flooring options and care
- House plants
- Preparing your home and property
- Food safety during a power outage
- Coping with stress
- Recovery assistance
Efficient and Sustainable Living
- Living more “green”
- Energy wise living and products
- Waste reduction
- Household water management and conservation
- Rental housing
- Housing as we grow older
- Life cycle housing and Universal Design